SCA BARISTA SKILLS FOUNDATION & INTERMEDIATE
AST/LAGS Trainer Student ratio: 1 : 1
Due to COVID-19 regulations, all courses no more than TWO trainees can attend a session.
Barista Skills Foundation
This course gets you up and running with all the key skills you need to operate your espresso machine, from setting your grinder for perfect espresso extraction, foaming and texturing your milk for the full range of café drinks, through to care and maintenance.
- Arabica & Robusta
- Coffee Freshness
- Understanding the importance of maintaining hygienic and organised workspace
- Identification and naming of main parts of a grinder and espresso machine
- Espresso: Temp, Distribution, Tamp, Dose, Yield, Time, Grind, Under/Over extraction
- Milk: Freshness, Texturing (micro-foam), Pouring technics
- Demonstration of safe and hygienic work practices
- Equipment maintenance
Barista Skills Intermediate
Designed to test key core and more advanced skills and understanding, expected from a competent Barista. Successful candidates should be able to dial in a brew recipe, make a full range of drinks with quality and speed, as well as understand the basic requirements for customer service and maintenance.
- Understanding of the components of blend/single origin being used
- Understanding of different species/sub-varieties and possible impact on flavour
- Understanding of different geographic origins and possible impact on flavour
- Coffee processing
- Cupping (tasting)
- Coffee freshness, degassing
- Understanding of different types of grinders “on demand”/traditional
- Understanding of how to produce balanced espresso and how to correct unbalanced
- Analysis of espresso extraction – brew formulas/brew ratios
- Basic milk chemistry
- Understanding of how different milk alternatives foam differently
- Demonstration of consistently good milk techniques to produce the correct texture and temperature
- Work flow, Efficiency, Layout – Demonstration of preparation of a range of commonly ordered drinks to a good standard
- Health & safety
- Customer service
- Understanding key problems with espresso machine/grinder
- Awareness of costs involved in preparing and serving espresso beverages
AST CHRISTINA CHAN
WRITTEN EXAM & CSP Course skills report. (Foundation)
WRITTEN EXAM & PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT.. (Intermediate)
- Online written exam to be done within 21 days.
15 POINTS FOR SCA COFFEE DIPLOMA (WITH CERTIFICATION)
The course is globally accredited via the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA).
1. (Sun) 25 July 10:00-19:00 or
2. (Sun) 1 Aug 10:00-19:00 or
3. (Fri) 6 Aug 10:00-19:00 or
4. (Sat) 14 Aug 10:00-19:00 or
5. (Mon) 23 Aug 10:00-19:00 or
Bundle Discount: HK$12,400/head (SCA Examination and Certificate fee included, SCA certificate will be issued if exams passed)
*Also check other schedules for barista foundation and intermediate with us.